CRAVE Cares About The Food Shelf at HCMC
The Food Shelf at HCMC is one of the few food shelves in the nation located in a hospital setting. This service provides food bags to patients and their families when they come for their medical appointments. A unique part of their check-in with a provider is the inclusion of a question on food insecurity. If identified, patients have the opportunity to receive a food bag and get connected with additional community resources, including federal assistance programs.
- A hospital-based food shelf and member of Second Harvest Heartland located at HCMC of Hennepin Healthcare in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Serves 28 HCMC based clinics and 8 community clinics of Hennepin Healthcare.
- Responds to patient food needs during clinic visits, hospital discharge, and home health visits.
- Promotes healthy foods and provides nutrition education.
- Reaches 2,000 families a month, distributes over 600,000 pounds of food a year.
- Connects families to community resources including federal assistance programs.
Rates of Food Insecurity at HCMC
- 35% of families with young children
- 18% of pregnant moms
- 38% of patients seen in the ER